What I did over the past two weeks LXX

I got very little done during the first week of this period. Just as a FYI, don't get a flu shot and COVID-19 booster at the same time!

Home:

  • Cleaned off the roof and swept up something like six loads of leaves and acorns
  • Cleaned up my home office; everything is now up off the floor and properly stacked/stashed on shelves. Gave everything a much-needed vacuuming

Shaftnet:

  • Fixed an unexpected mail delivery problem due to the ISP's modem masquerading all outbound connections from my public IP block...WTF? Corrected the SPF records to include the full IP range

Vehicles:

  • Swapped out the truck's brake master cylinder and vacuum booster as the old one was leaking. Two quarts of fluid, three bench bleedings, and a malfunctioning (and subsequently deleted) RWAL solenoid later, I discovered that I'd purchased the wrong replacement master cylinder. The correct one is now on order and should be here Tuesday.
  • Additionally, during one of several gravity bleeding sessions, I inspected and cleaned the rear brakes, discovering that the bottom third of one of the trailing shoes had broken off. A new set of shoes will be here by Wednesday (and will be a real PITA to install...) but everything else looked okay
  • The WRX's brakes are fucked up, with the new pads glazed over due to my improperly bedding them in. It can still stop okay at low speeds but it's downright dangerous in traffic or on the highway. A new set of (different!) pads should be here Wednesday, and will be pretty quick to install. While I was inspecting everything I decided to do a four-corner bleed just in case; all seems to be well otherwise
  • The WRX got a full set of inner and outer tie rods installed, followed by a long-overdue alignment. Unfortunately, the shop reported that driving with the broken camber bolt damaged the strut's string perch, but a quick inspection didn't show anything obvious. It seems most likely that the damage is to the upper spring perch and/or top hat (ie the steering pivot point) but either way it's going to require disassembling the strut(s) to find out. The shop also claimed the power steering pump I just installed is failing. I don't have the time and/or budget to deal with all of this nonsense just yet.

All in all, more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Moral of the story? Don't take apart your working vehicle when the other one is out of commission. And double-check that you have the correct parts first!

Rockbox:

  • A bunch of patch review and helping out folks on IRC
  • Minor cleanup on the jz47xx USB driver

Printing:

  • Does vacuuming the cat hair off of the racks of printers count?

What I did over the past week LXIX

Home:

  • Minor yard work; inclement weather scrapped the plans to do more

Shaftnet:

  • Relocated shaftnet from the lab at my soon-to-be-former employer to my home office, along with the new IP address, and dealt with (most of) the fallout. There's still an issue with the ISP's modem that's causing some horrible latency swings
  • Migrated shaftnet off of its 12-year-old special snowflake 4U case (which saw three motherboard swaps over the years) onto one of the unused nodes in the FatTwin chassis in my rack. The storage stayed much the same, other than converting it to UEFI booting, XFS on all partitions, and the FatTwin's MegaRAID card instead of the 3Ware controllers I've used for twenty-odd years

Tick Farm:

  • Something's wrong with the well pump. And the toilet's guts are shot. These are probably related, but I don't have time to deal with this right now

Vehicles:

  • Spliced the truck's new fan controller's temperature sensor into the upper radiator hose instead of wedged into the radiator itself
  • New (not re-manufactured!) brake booster and master cylinder for the truck ordered and delivered, but were not installed due to crappy weather and the desire to wait until the WRX was back from the shop
  • The WRX now has new inner and outer tie rod ends, but is still out of commission owing to a broken eccentric camber adjusting bolt discovered during the alignment. That broken bolt was probably the initial failure that could have gone much more badly.

Rockbox:

  • On the xDuoo X3ii, ignore "remote" events when the headphone is not plugged in
  • Some patch review

Printing:

  • Allow the backend data files to be installed independently